Sunday, March 28, 2010

Improvements to the DVD Edit

Here's an quick update on the great new things coming on the new version of my DVD.

The end credits have been typed in (thanks Christian v. Petersenn!), so all of the credits are clean new digital versions now. You can even read the copyright notices if you like (but not in the screenshot below).


It was weird including them, as the copyright notices are actually for a different film. While Metropolis Redux is based on Moroder's original work, it isn't actually Moroder's movie anymore.

I've just finished tweaking the start of the scene where Rotwang chases Maria. When Rotwang reaches his hand out of the dark to extinguish Maria's candle, the Moroder version has more footage of the hand coming down over the candle.


I've now got half a second more of the hand and I've made the candle dim before it cuts to black. It was a pain to do but I think it shows Rotwang putting the candle out much better.

I'm currently checking the synch on the brand new version of the digital soundtrack. Other than being louder, this version sound more 'smooth' in my opinion. My original soundtrack had good highs and bass, but I can now tell it was lacking in the mids.

As a number of people have requested it, I'm working on making the handshake in the final shot of the movie more like Moroder's version. The restored footage ends earlier - before their hands actual clasp - so I'm going to have to build about 1 second more footage just like I did for the candle extinguishing mentioned above. Oh great, more digital compositing!


8 comments:

Ténèbres à la lumière... said...

Hi! Gilchrist Anderson,
This is very informative information about the DVD editing of Fritz Lang's Metropolis...Thanks,
for sharing...By the way, is this a full-fledged film or just snippets from the film in video form with music?
Thanks,
DeeDee ;-D

Anonymous said...

Gilchrist, your dedication to film is at once inspiring and faintly psychotic. Bravo. If you don't work in film, you should.

Being a fan of the Moroder release, which I haven't seen since I was a teenager, naturally I e-mailed you for details.

cheers,
-Mike

steve simels said...

Gil -- you have an inquiry from me about the DVD over at the link you supplied on the homepage.

I'm this guy, in case you don't recall.
http://boxoffice.com/blogs/steve/2010/04/back-to-the-future-the-final--.php

My e-mail addy is ssimels@gmail.com

Metropolis said...

DeeDee: It's the full film.
Mike: Thanks. Hopew you enjoy it.
Steve: Thanks for the plug!

Unknown said...

Bravo, sir! As a Queen fan and a cinema student, I applaud your effort!
My local theater is going to show the Complete Metropolis in September, and it made me wonder why I didn't own this on DVD. Went looking, found nothing, so I contacted a friend and said we should hammer it out over a vacation. How foolish of me ;)
Anyway, glad to see the site, and I'll use the form on there to find out more.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was wondering when this new Metropolis: Redux DVD will come out. I've been so excited for the past few months to get my hands on this DVD.

By the way, are you going to edit the "Metropolis" BluRay and burn BD-Rs of "Metropolis: Redux"? If so, I would pay for it.

Anonymous said...

Yes the ending does need more work as it needs to finish with Freder looking at the handshake. Also look carefully at how the film was deliberately slowed for the last half dozen frames in the Moroder version, it is very effective and should be retained if possible!

Great work!

Antenna Installation Gastonia said...

Good reaading your post