Sunday, December 14, 2008

More edit checking notes

0:04:44 - Title is well outside of title safety and will get cut off on most TVs. You should probably reduce the font size.

The preview version was cropped to remove the unused black edges, so yes, the titles and subtitles would look as if they were far too big for the screen size.

0:49:59 - Strange edit right when Freder sits up. This might have been a different take from the Moroder version, but the cut  breaks up the shot dramatically and affects the timing of the fade to red tint. You may wish to consider using the Moroder LD as source for that shot instead.

This is the same as the Moroder version as far as I can see. Yes it is a weird edit but Moroder did it first!

0:51:07 - Audio offsync with steam whistles.

There were issues with the sync at this point - I have correct them now. I hope.

0:51:18 - Moroder version should still-frame halfway through the fade to black, before Freder falls back into bed.

I had more footage to play with than Moroder did, I guess. I liked the complete fade-out. I've reverted back to his version.

1:00:52 - Title slate missing fade-in.

Fixed that one.

1:04:24 - Scene change audio out of sync.

More sync slippage - now fixed.

1:07:55 - This tinting seems inconsistent, but this might be intentional.

The purple-blue is for the worker's city. The 'royal' blue tint is the machine level. The deep blue is the upper city in darkness. I think these are all consistent.

1:12:36 - Scene change audio out of sync.

This is the first of many audio sync errors now I look at it (video sync errors actually). I hadn't realized there was as many audio sequences cuts as there were. I've re-worked the entire movie from here on to synchronize the cuts properly.

1:13:34 - Missing comma in title slate. "in a state of confusion,"

Good spotting.

1:18:30 - Wipe is too fast

Ooh, it is, isn't it. Kind-of killed the moment :-)

1:20:10 - Moroder version should slow down, rather than just stop at a still frame at fade-out.

This one was a pig and took a lot of playing around. The footage stops just as they are about to shake hands properly. Moroder fades out just as the start to clasp hands. I prefered it with an actual hand-shake hold - frame freeze - and then fade-out.

1:20:11 - Fritz Lang is misspelled!! - "Freund" is misspelled. "Günther" is missing the umlauts. - "Schultze" is misspelled. - "As Grot" is in the wrong font size. "As Rotwang" should be deleted. - The Produced By credit has "Giorgio" and "Squier" both misspelled. - "Enno Patalas" is misspelled as "Ennopatala"

How embaressing. This is why I shouldn't proof my own work. Nice spotting.

Credits are cut off prematurely at 1:21:42

The credits in the preview version were chopped to save space. They were straight off the laser disc version anyway.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ack, you're right, that weird edit is in the Moroder version! Amazing how the memory embellishes these things.

Can't wait for the final version!

Metropolis said...

Do you think I should try and fix the edit then?

Anonymous said...

Hello from Spain! I see your great metropolis edition at youtube! I love this movie too. It would be posible to the rest of the humanity to enjoy your fantastic dvd! Could you send it or something? Thanks you very much!