Sunday, December 14, 2008

Edit checking report

I've had a great set of comments from one of the people checking my edit. I thought I'd post the notes and my comments here for reference:


The timing is off when including your email at the beginning (compare to your Youtube clip).
The timing is actually synced to the sudden increase in music volume at the start.


I would suggest keeping your tag (since you DID do the edit and all) but get rid of the strong blue and change the font to the same as the "Mororder Presents... Fritz Lang's" and color it that same orange or red.
I was trying to be different but I have now used the same font as the titles throughout the film. I've used the same blue as the intro titles.


I would also keep the image timing with the first beat of the music per the Youtube clip (as opposed to the box popping up on the second beat).
This should have been right but I have adjusted it. The diamond box fades in with the increase in the baseline and the text appaears in sync with the synthesisers.


It looks like the whole soundtrack is set off by a few seconds (the ticking of the time clock is heard while we can still see the moving gears in the previous scene), so it looks like the opening box scroll has to start on the first beat for the rest of the soundtrack to fit.  The timing may also be due to the quicktime movie file too (compression and all).
The preview Quicktime version may have sync issues - I noticed that it was from an earlier edit. The clock ticking actually preceed the appearance of the image. this is in the original and is a standard editing trick (drop in the audio before the video appears - it just seems to work).


4:05 it is still possible to include the "reveal" shot.  Moroder took the moving elevator wall in the previous shot and just added it for a second to create an artificial reveal.
The improved elevator edit somehow didn't make it into tis preview. Rest assured the good version is ready to go.


Not sure how I feel about the green tint on the garden scene.  I think the original gold tint worked better (since it seemed the only tints used were bluish (blues or purple) or reddish (red, orange, yellow).
I agonised about this one a bit. I thought that gold was used too much and I wanted to have a different tint to the garden area as it's only seem once.


Don't know if that edit at 11:55 was in either the K or M cut, but it was cool none-the-less (how when the car moves we can already see the background of the next scene).
This cut was in the Moroder version but I have also improved it. It was originally a wipe as the car drove off revealing the cityscape but I actually used a shaped mask around the car body.


13:33 regarding the subtitles, maybe you could use the Arial font and make them a little smaller (example: size 12 to size 10).  The intertitles are good, since they are seperate and the font is close to the original M edit font. 
The subtitles are the best match I could manage to the original Moroder version, except I addeda drop shadow so they were still legible against light backgrounds (Morodr's bustitles are almost impossible to read sometimes).


14:39 to 14:40 Maybe consider tinting the window and outside shot the light blue for the earlier city shots (don't worry about the window frame being orange -that would be hell).  Not that it is a MUST, but a suggestion (to match consistency with earlier shots)
That's a really nice idea - I'll get onto that.


19:31 I would change the green tint to blue
I needed a different colour to indicate a montage sequence - other than just having a montage sequence :-)


19:54 - 19:56 Don't know if you recreated that, but the Yoshiwara sign edit looks good!
I 'enhanced' it to increase color.


20:43 There is a split second shot of an alternative intertitle card with thick white letters.  Probably have the set you have fade to black and delete that split-second shot.
Well spotted! I fixed that one - the source clip was mis-aligned.


30:44 Cool shot!


32:43 - 32:44 don't know if the fade transition edit could be smoother when Rotwang and Frederson are shaking hands (or replaced with a regular edit), but something to keep in mind. 
I didn't have much to work with for that sequence. The restored and Moroder edits are quite different there.


45:16 I understand not including the purple rings, but would it be possible to wash a sepia tone over the entire scene and add in the blue eyes at the end without having to re-rotoscope the rings?
I left the background gray so that the rings would be white - it was easier to rotorscope it that way. If I change the background, I'd have to rotorscope each of the individual rings. Sigh.


46:19 Freder says: "Wherer is she?"  Extra "r" on the "where" subtitle.
Doh!


51:09 Don't know if it's the Quicktime movie, but there is a flash of Maria right when the grim reaper is coming out of his alcove.
Another mis-aligned edit.


53:35 On a side note, NOW he thinks of the consequences?!  You think he was the first mad scientist in movie history... um, oh yeah ..
Oh, hindsight is SO great!


1:13:16 don't remember if the extra fire effect was there in the M edit, but I like it (when the woman is throwing the fireball onto the wood pile)
That's a new addition of mine. I really got sick of doing animated masks after that :-)


:13:32 Maybe consider coloring the background city plates to blue (like you did earlier when the mob is running down the highway) for consistency.  Not a biggie, just a suggestion.
Nice idea. At least that only requires a static mask.


1:20:18 Drected by Fritz Laing (extra "i")
Sheepish grin. I spelt it right at the start of the film


1:20:48 Consider placing your name credit here with Moroder as opposed to the beginning of the movie.
I had wanted to isolate myself from the Moroder re-edit contents. Not sure here, as the entire re-edit is my work, but the source footage is not, neither is the soundtrack. Maybe I'll sneak an extra in there...

No comments: